Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Food glorious food

Oh food, my favorite thing :) Like I’ve said before, most people here don’t speak English and since they can’t talk to me, they just give me massive amounts of food instead. It’s awesome! Thai food is basically the bomb. Mango sticky rice has got to be my favorite but I love the curry, the soups, the pad Thai, just about everything.

Ok actually I lied. Mango sticky rice is my second favorite. Roti is my first favorite. Holy crap this stuff is amazing! You can find roti stands on pretty much every corner near my house and the vendors are always Muslim. Basically it’s fried dough with butter, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk. Pretty much a rolled up heart attack. I am so in love with this.

The fruit here is absolutely amazing! Mangos, bananas, pineapples, coconuts, all so freaking good! Not sure how I’m going to go back to crappy imported fruit. Dang I don’t even want to think about that. Haha Some of my favorite fruits are ones you can’t even get in the states! Mangosteen, rambutan, tamarind. Mmmmm….so good.

So in Thailand there is seriously a 7/11 every block and I am basically addicted to their snacks. I generally stop at the one by my house about 5 times a week to keep my stash nice and stocked. I see one of the workers there a ton so we’re pretty much buddies. Once when I bought a particularly large amount of cookies she says “that’s going to make you fat.” I think the fact that we’re already to that level in our friendship shows just how much time I spend at sev. ha

On that note, this one day a teacher at my school looks at me and goes “You’re bigger than you were when you first got here. You eat too much.” Not going to lie, I kind of miss how in the states people just think you’re fat instead of actually saying it. haha

Mangosteen! Definitely my favorite fruit!

My stash of sev snacks. So beautiful. Chokis, Dewberries, fun-o’s, sugus, and more. Essentially happiness in wrappers.

MANGO STICKY RICE!!! That’s how much my host mom usually gives me. It’s definitely the same size as the one she makes for her whole family. Haha


Miracle roti man! This guy appeared out of nowhere in the pouring rain the second Jessica said “Man I really want some roti.” Like magic!

ROTI!!! If I could marry a food substance it would be this.


2 comments:

  1. =) You had me at your title, actually both of them, and I wasn't disappointed! I confess that I'm a bit of a food fan myself and have certainly had my share of misadventures. Anyone who can make me laugh and make me think is a keeper. Have a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Carrie! I'm happy you liked it. You have a great day too! :)

    ReplyDelete